Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wed D Blog Post

Wednesday 5/12 – Your Biggest Supporter. Sure, our diabetes care is ultimately up to us and us alone. But it’s important to have someone around to encourage you, cheer you, and even help you when you need it. Today it’s time to gush and brag about your biggest supporter. Is it your spouse or significant other? Your best friend, sibling, parent or child? Maybe it’s your endo or a great CDE? Or perhaps it’s another member of the D-OC who is always there for you? Go ahead, tell them just how much they mean to you!

I think I have two biggest supporters. My Dad has always been the go to person when it came to my diabetes care. I think the best thing he ever did was to not freak out over things. He never made me feel that I couldnt do something b/c of diabetes and never made me feel different than any other kid. Sure I drank diet coke and didnt have desserts with dinner, but that is how any healthy kid should eat anyway. I cannot remember one time where I felt bad about being diabetic and I owe that entirely to him. Besides the fact that he taught me to give my own shots and he used to do my shots all the time himself, with some help from Annette and my grandmas and aunt. And I have a remarkable A1C level right now and that is due to his education and guidance I got as a child.

My other biggest supporter is Mike. Who would have ever thought that I would find someone who would actually do my insulin pump injections for me? He is learning to load the insulin pump, he checks my blood sugar, and he gives me the pump injections. Besides that though he knows how I get when my blood sugars are low and knows what to do to help me. He never complains about it, at least not to me, and his support is never ending. He also takes one for the team and knows sometimes we cannot eat pasta or pizza, esp later in the day. Though it may bother him at times he doesnt make a big deal about it. He also has gotten me into running which I attribute to helping me get my latest A1C level down to a 5.6. Throw all those things together and I see a lifetime of support and help from him when it comes to my diabetes care and thats all I ever wanted.

0 comments: