Thursday, February 3, 2011

Maybe CGM?



I met with my new doctor, Dr Briggs, in Columbia this week. She was great and I really liked her. She gave me some helpful tips, but she also brought up the discussion of a Continuous Glucose Monitor. I had thought about it before, but did not really see the point. My A1C's have always been in the 5's and 6's and if I could do it that well alone, what help could the CGM really have for me. She explained that I do seem to have a lot of lows, which is true, and she feels that having a CGM would alert me to these lows, especially if they go too low during the night. She talked about if I ever got pregnant and how sometimes there is nothing you can do to predict extreme lows until it is too late because of all the hormones involved. Basically she convinced me that I should at least try it. So I am going to set up an appointment to do a seven day trial with the Dexcom CGM. I picked that one mostly because I have heard the best reviews about it and it is the smallest. Plus when I look at my fingers, though could use a break from checking my blood sugar 15 plus times a day and maybe only checking it ten times!

0 comments: