Monday, January 24, 2011

So Low

I took a nice weekend trip to Philadelphia to see Leslie and Jill. We had a great time and I cannot wait to see them both again. But I was not prepared for this trip in a diabetic sense. It was freezing cold and with a large warm coat on I would go from freezing to hot in a matter of minutes. We did a lot of walking, which should have included a lot of basal lowering but I did not get around to ever doing that. We went to the mall and we drove in the car in stressful bumper to bumper traffic. These are all conditions I should have been better prepared for, but I was not. I was not thinking of those things, I was thinking of getting in the car and going to see friends. I should have had better snacks with me, I should have brought more test strips and I should have had a better lunch and eaten dinner earlier. All of this did not occur and I ended up with a blood sugar of 24. That is the lowest I have seen it ever as far as my memory goes back. Now who knows how accurate that number, but I never want to see it again. One low blood sugar can cause havoc on my system. I felt horrible, I had a splitting headache and I felt like I was getting a fever at one point. My friends were more than supportive and did all they could to help. But sometimes you just want to lay down in bed and watch tv when this happens, and yet when you are visiting friends you cannot always do that. Diabetes never goes away, but sometimes you forget about if for just a moment too long and then pay the price later.

2 comments:

Kay said...Best Blogger Tips

Hi,

I loved reading your blog! I live here in Maryland as well. Why did you stop writing? I hope you are ok.

I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 in February and have managed to bring my A1C down to 5.7. I do not have a diabetes doctor right now (the one I had was awful and just never wanted to see me or talk to me - even when I was in the ER!). Do you know any good endocrinologists around Germantown/Rockville?

Hope to hear from you.
Kay

Jenny said...Best Blogger Tips

@Kay

Thank you for your comment. I actually go to an endo in Columbia, but there is an office in Laurel. It is called Maryland Endocrine and Dr Briggs is very good, probably too far from Rockville/Germantown though! 5.7 is fantastic too!